Picture
I have known Paul Kaiju for years now. We met in California at a doll event years ago and have kept in touch through toys. He has since  skyrocketed to vinyl toy fame, but I consider him a friend and he remains an insanely creative inspiration of mine.

He literally has a stable full of amazing original characters, but Mr. REE might be my favorite of his creations. REE is an incredible changeable puzzle of a boy/plant/monster. He has been released in a variety of vinyl colors and paint applications, but what makes him truly remarkable are his variety of optional parts. Paul has designed interchangeable torsos, masks, shoes, and hand parts to turn Mr. REE into a root monster, fungus boxer, space explorer, or a rabbit with exposed guts. I have 3 REEs of my own now and I still have not tried every combination.

I find it especially delightful that REE stripped of his accessories is just a little (space? robot?) boy(?). Since his bunny mask is by and far my favorite, I was inspired to make him a fluffy suit to wear with it. I made one out of pink fur, slightly over sized like his mask. I shared the results online and soon after, Paul and I planned a collaboration. We talked parts and paint colors and I sourced fur and made myself a proper pattern. Even though they are just shy of 4" tall, each suit is carefully made so that REE can still have his full range of motion for adventuring. We settled on a run of 15 REEs which Paul has painted, and which I have assembled and dressed in fur suits in one of three colors: white, pink, or pastel swirl. He will come with his basic parts, plus his bunny and root parts.

I think that Mr.REE is a benchmark of what vinyl toys can be -- both nostalgic and brand new at the same time. An intricate art piece which extends an invitation to play. I am excited to send this version out into the world and grateful to Paul for making him in the first place.

Fluffbun Mr. REE will be available in my shop on Sunday, 10/18 at 9PM EST.

Comments

12/30/2015 5:24am

Its not toy look like real.Their facial features, hair, size, and weight resemble that of a real baby.Cute

07/06/2016 10:11pm

I find your toys totally awesome! I'm thinking of getting the baby doll with its stomach open and its ribs and guts exposed for my friend who is a med student. I always teased her about how she would deal with all the blood and guts that she would encounter if she pursues becoming a surgeon someday. These toys are so bizarre it makes me so happy.

02/14/2017 6:47am

You have written such an impressive story. Your hobby is one of a kind and I think that it is really unique. The story of you and Paul is amazing as well and I am indeed happy for the both of you. It is great that you are sharing such wonderful interest. I hope that you will be able to add more dolls in your collection. Please do not forget to share more pictures of your dolls because it looks really creative.

06/30/2016 2:17pm

He made riddles on eight topics - the World, Europe, Asia, Africa, America, England and Wales, Ireland and Scotland. The shaking horse (on bow rockers) was produced in the meantime in England, particularly with the rich as it was thought to build up youngsters' parity for riding genuine horses.

10/22/2016 7:38am

These toys are a bit creepy. But they are stylish and I like them.

12/29/2016 6:28am

Oil painting reproductions are the last call of the day! Are you excited to add a new Midas touch to your home? If your answer is in the confirmation, you will surely delight your aesthetic masterpiece reproductions of painting.

01/16/2017 12:20am

Honestly, I find Mr. Ree really different among toys in the market. Paul Kaiju is successful to come up with a toy that is cute and visually entertaining. It might be different and new to our eyes, but it marks an innovation in the toy industry. The body parts were also carefully crafted, especially the torsos and the mask! I wanted to own Mr. Ree too!